Medical Assistant/Patient Benefits Coordinator
Location: 780 Albany Street Boston, MA 02118
The Medical Assistant/Patient Benefits Coordinator (MA/PBC) has a dual role assisting in the administrative and clinical areas. In the clinical area the MA/PBC, under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse and in accordance with the policies of Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program’s procedures, protocols, and standards of practice, participates in the delivery of patient care. In the administrative area the MA/PBC gathers patient information for registration, schedules appointments, prepares medical records, and files. The MA/PBC will also be responsible for patient appointment confirmation as well as enrolling BHCHP patients into health care plans.
- Collaborates with the Registered Nurse throughout the shift to determine appropriate work assignment and priorities, as well as communicates status of delegated task completion and outcome of patient data findings.
- Accurately collects requested patient data (e.g. vital signs, weights and reason for visit.)
- Performs basic patient testing, including but not limited to tests for guaiac, urine dip, glucose finger stick, O2 saturation, etc.
- Collects, labels, and sends/transport specimens with appropriate laboratory slips and or requisitions.
- Assists nurse/provider during complex treatments/procedures, including but not limited to doing preps and set-ups for examinations/treatments and assisting during procedures.
- Performs other duties as needed and participates as a member of the patients’ care team.
- Obtains any needed documentation for completion of medical benefits applications.
- Checks patient’s eligibility for Mass Health using the REVS system and for Free Care using the Free Care database.
- As appropriate, keeps the McInnis Database and MSI registration system current by complete and accurate input of patient benefits information.
- Confirms patient appointments and assists with scheduling of patient follow-up appointments and consultations.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Successful completion of medical assistant program.
- One to two years of education beyond high school or an equivalent combination of work experience and high school education/GED.
- Effective interpersonal skills to interact appropriately with nursing staff, patients, physicians, and hospital staff.
- Ability to accurately interpret and utilize basic terminology and abbreviations.
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com (strongly preferred). State the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Include your cover letter in the body of the email. Attach your resume in Word format, do not use file-sharing documents such as Google docs. If you are unable to email, please fax documents to (857) 654-1095 or mail them to BHCHP - HR, 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118