Respite Aid - Per Diem
The Respite Aide (CNA or MA) is an important and integral part of the nursing department at the Barbara McInnis House. The purpose of the position is to provide the highest quality care to the McInnis House patients by collaborating with the team RN. With direction from the team RN, the Respite Aide will offer clinical support services to the patients and will offer assistance and support to the McInnis House team RNs. These duties are essential to the overall functioning of the McInnis House clinic. The position is crucial to assure the continuity of patient care, providing an essential link for communication involving all departments.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Nursing, the Respite Aide performs a variety of appropriately delegated patient care interventions. Each Respite Aide is responsible for two teams.
- Treats patients in a manner that preserves and supports patient confidentiality, patient rights, and patients dignity
- Act as a member of the team of care givers
- Collaborates with the team RN throughout the shift to determine appropriate work assignments and priorities, as well as communicating the status of delegated task completion and outcome of patient data findings.
- Maintains timely ongoing verbal communication to the team RN in order to assure good patient care and the effective running of the specific team.
- Assists nurse/provider during complex treatments/ dressings/ procedures, including but not limited to, doing preps and set-ups for examinations/treatments, assisting during procedures when requested or required
- Accurately collects requested patient data (e.g. vital signs, weights and reason for visits), notifying the team RN of abnormalities
- Performs basic patient testing, including, but not limited to urine dip, glucose finger stick and FIT testing
- Assist patients with personal hygiene, including bed baths and showering
- Assist with patient transfer from wheelchair to bed or to shower
- Provide personal care and one-to-one support for safety for patients needing end of life care
- When necessary, escort patients to off-site appointments
- Maintains diabetic cart
- Maintains the oxygen supply for the patients in their care
- Cleans the oxygen condensers
- Collects, labels, and sends specimens to the lab,( stool & urine) with appropriate laboratory slips and/or requisitions
- Check inventories on a weekly basis, order clinic supplies and stock them in their appropriate location upon arrival in order to avoid a shortage or misplacement of necessary supplies
- Maintains appropriate equipment logs and records per standards
- Copying, faxing and filing as needed
- Performs other duties as required
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed to meet program needs, at the discretion of the Nurse Manager or their designee.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Certification as a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) or MA (Medical Assistant) required or currently enrolled RN student
- CPR certification required
- AED trained
- Experience in a Medical environment preferred
- Ability to work in a team environment( this means taking the initiative to help out other staff members who are very busy)
- Checking in with patients to understand their needs; being proactive with patients is crucial for the flow of the shift
- Observes and supports BHCHP program policy and procedures
- Cooperates and maintains good communication with specific team RN
- Ability to learn and adapt
- Ability to look around and see what needs to be done…clinics stocked; clinics in order ( exam table paper clean and fresh)
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Position requires extended periods of sitting
- Position requires extended periods of standing
- Position requires regular bending and reaching
- Must be able to lift, carry, and push 20 (twenty) pounds on a regular basis
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis
- Ability to work in a fast paced, challenging environment
- Demonstrated interest in working with an underserved population
If you are interested in this position please forward your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources department. Our preferred method of submission is through email to email@example.com with a subject of Respite Aid-Per Diem. One may also apply by mail to Human Resources, BHCHP, 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, or by fax to (857) 654‐1095.
An Equal Opportunity Employer